The One With All The Yoga

It occurs more to me as I get older (yes that does sound old) just how important it is to take care of yourself. Taking care of the mind and body is just as important as doing all the other things that you enjoy and that make you feel good.

Admittedly, I haven't really been into sport and fitness since I took dance and athletics at school - which was many moons ago! This year, I was determined to find a sport or fitness class that I could enjoy and call my own. Something that would make me want to get up, work hard and sweat it out.

A few weeks ago, a very lovely lady friend of mine asked me if I'd like to join a yoga class with her and I said yes. From everything I had heard and read before joining, Yoga seemed like the perfect class for me. A spiritual practice that is good for both physical and mental health. A place where I could keep fit, increase flexibility and clear my headspace. 

Looking around for classes was daunting - there are so many classses, teachers and different styles of yoga. In the end we opted for a class at R1se Yoga (located in the Krynkyl building at Kelham Island) and we found a block booking deal on Wowcher meaning our first four lessons cost just £17. Even better!

R1se offers a range of classes including Chill, Flex and Power yoga and each class is offered in hot or cold setting. Our first session was an evening Flex class with Rosie. I wasn't sure what to expect at first but everyone was really friendly and just before the session, Rosie invited us into the studio to answer any questions and chat about what we would be covering in the class. 

The class was quite busy and was filled with people who had different levels of experience. Being a total beginner, there were points when it was quite hard to keep up or hold the positions Rosie was demonstrating. Pigeons and Scorpions and various Dogs. We then found out that the classes ran in programmes and we had joined in the fifth week! Talk about jumping in at the deep end! But in most cases, there is an easier alternative move and all throughout we were encouraged to do our best and not push ourselves too much or cause discomfort. Rosie is lovely and welcomes questions and feedback at the end, which is really good. With the classes being quite large there isn't always time for indivisible feedback but if there is something you are struggling with, I'm sure Rosie would be happy to chat about it before/after the session.

The classes run for 45 minutes but it really does feel much longer, especially when you're holding a difficult pose and wobbling from side to side. Or maybe that was just me...

The warm down was one of my favourite parts of the routine. There was something so peaceful about  sitting cross legged, back straight, eyes closed, taking in the music and concentrating on breathing. I felt stretched and flexed and challenged. I felt good.

All those upward dogs and downward dogs had my core aching for three days. I mean, I've never met a dog I didn't get on with straight away! But for the rest of the week I felt good about my body and I was eager to book the next session. 

If you're looking for a yoga class, I would recommend R1se yoga as a great starting point. Their classes run daily, everything you need is provided, the atmosphere is lovely and there are a selection of tasty herbal teas for you to try after your session, which is perfect way to warm down whilst having a chat.

I'm already looking forward to next Monday and just hope that my body will (forgive) thank me for it in the long run. I'll let you know how I get on.

Speak soon,
TSN x

No comments